U2 Forced To Cancel Glastonbury 2010 Headline Show

May 25, 2010 by  

Glastonbury officials have just announced that U2 have been forced to cancel their appearance at this year’s festival.

In a statement, organisers said: ‘Following a phone call from Bono to Michael Eavis this morning, we’re extremely sorry to report that the band will not be able to perform their headline slot at this year’s Glastonbury Festival.’

They continued to confirm it was due to Bono’s recent back problems: ‘This is due to the serious back injury which Bono sustained last week and the subsequent medical advice he has received.’

U2 front-man Bono also released a statement: ‘I’m heartbroken. We really wanted to be there to do something really special – we even wrote a song especially for the Festival.’

And finally Glasto’s very own Michael Eavis has said: ‘It was obvious from our telephone conversation that U2 are hugely disappointed. Clearly, they were looking forward to playing the Pyramid Stage as much as we were looking forward to watching them. At this point, we have no comment to make about possible replacements for U2′s Friday night slot. Instead, we would simply like to send Bono our very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.’

Rumours suggest that Coldplay may take their place or Dizzee Rascall may be bumped up the bill, but nothing has been confirmed yet – let’s just hope Thom Yorke and Co. fancy a weekend in Summerset!

Who do you think you should take their place?


Comments